Posts in screen printing
Box & Flea
 
swallow-coal.jpg

Need to mention a collaboration I've been working pretty hard on lately with longtime friend Jeremy aka 'The Heat' of Tacklebox. This past winter we somehow decided our shared upbringing among tractors and forest-bound-boats was the perfect foundation for a fashion accessory line.

We started with these prints on totes:

sea2.jpg
tree.jpg
Jeremy curing an early test print. Ties are optional but recommended when screen printing.

Jeremy curing an early test print. Ties are optional but recommended when screen printing.

I look like I am doing something incorrectly here.

I look like I am doing something incorrectly here.

Here are some hopeful bandana candidates. We have developed and printed about 10 of these and are currently working on a tool tote, ties, and leather items.

The bandannas are screen printed with clear discharge which dissolves the fabric’s dye (similar to bleaching), revealing the print in close to original base color. This results in a very natural colorway and super soft print with virtually no hand-feel whatsoever but we aren’t always able to control what color it comes out as it just does what it does, ex. red discharges to golden yellow, black goes off-white, navy goes grey, etc..,

So all in all it's been a welcome outlet for two architect's creative surplus, a great way to take advantage of the resources of the studio, and an excellent testing ground for perfecting new processes. Stay tuned for more and check us out at Smith + Butler.

IMG_5503.jpg
 
CCTV Hotel Fire Bandana
 
cctvbandana.jpg

Not really sure why I made this but I needed to use up some left over Formusol and I'm always trying to squeeze detail out of processes that don't cooperate. The images of this fire were very 'affecting'. I put that in quotes. The whole building was just exploding in this spectacular fireball and the combination of Koolhaas and destructikation had something inevitable / irresistible to it. I hope Rem casts the charred remains in clear concrete.

cctvshirt.jpg

The film took some hacking up as you can see but I had to work with my limitations on this one to not make the seams ruin it. It came out better with the seams.

IMG_5083.jpg
 
Object T - Screen printed pocket door
 
Shot_11.jpg

I guess technically this door doesn't 'pocket' but I don't know what else to call it... A 'sliding door' is what you use to get to the backyard.

Anyway, Lidia Stonemate Alessandro of Make Design wanted to print this enormous bathroom door for a client's apartment renovation. We vectorized these reedy things which I think are goldenrod and after a couple tests decided on a really subtle silver on white print. We picked the 5000 pound door up at San's shop in Third Ward and the thing barely fit in Buck. We were nearly crushed to death but we got it here. The printing went pretty smoothly, which almost never happens, and after a few color tests we had it finished and ready for the trip back for a final protective clearcoat.

IMG_0774.jpg
IMG_0780.jpg

Since we had a huge screen sitting around we made my darkroom door into a pink evil twin. It weighs about 5 pounds.

IMG_4222.JPG

and here are some final photos of the finished project which i think is really impressive. Ian and Alessandro did a beautiful job and i like how it came out sophisticated and unique but still kind of punk. These photos were taken by the clients, Joel Barhamand and Ashley Macknica, who live in the apartment so kudos on a great job photographing your own place. (they are both pros, btw)

Shot_1_Overall_ Composite.jpg
Shot_2b.jpg
Shot_5.jpg
Shot_10.jpg

this was actually one of those rare occasions when everything goes according to plan and makes you want to print more stuff like that. i think kitchen cabinets would be a good candidate and maybe some kind of a decorative paneling system. i can also print fleas on your sofa.

 
Semi-Fail
 

An experiment with a 4-color process poster, (3 colors really). Evidently I picked a nearly impossible image for this one since it's just a shadowy thing I made in illustrator. Even though it came out crappy I learned a lot of 'what-not-to-dos'. I was actually trying to flash in between colors, which is an example of my brain being in t-shirt mode. I was also using 110 mesh which is way too low to hold this much detail and the screens weren't set up perfectly. i have another process print experiment in the works so no worries.